The week in sports: Carmel Valley, Del Mar, Encinitas, Rancho Santa Fe, Solana Beach
• Another week, another decisive victory for Santa Fe Christian.
This time, the Eagles blanked Classical Academy 43-0 for their third straight lopsided win.
The Eagles have outscored their three most recent opponents by a combined 125-16. In their four wins this season, they’ve outscored their opponents 164-16.
Eagles quarterback Conor Whitton led the way, completing five of eight pass attempts for 107 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions. He also rushed for 72 yards on four carries.
Hank Ontiveros rushed for 44 yards on six carries. He was among five Eagles players to score one rushing touchdown. R.J. Walker, Josh Thompson, Brad Weeks and Caleb Armendariz were the others.
Caleb Phillips had 15 tackles and one sack, and Brad Weeks had eight tackles and two sacks to lead the Eagles defensively.
The Eagles improved their overall record for the season to 4-1.
• La Costa Canyon’s offense got the Mavericks off to a quick start. Then their defense did the rest in a 13-0 nonleague victory over Vista on Sept. 25.
The Mavericks jumped out to a 10-0 lead in the first quarter when Zach Goodkin scored on a 68-yard run.
Jake Koehnke had two field goals, including a 45-yarder in the second quarter that made it 13-0.
Koehnke also kicked a 25-yard field goal in the first quarter for the game’s first score.
The Mavericks improved their overall record for the season 4-1.
• Torrey Pines led early, but the Falcons couldn’t hang on in a 38-20 loss to Poway in a nonleague game on Sept. 25.
The Falcons led 20-10 midway through the third quarter on a pair of Matt Feeler touchdowns from both sides of the ball and an interception return for another score.
Poway scored 18 unanswered points to close out the game.
The Falcons took an early lead in the first quarter when Feeler returned a fumble 52 yards for a Falcons touchdown.
Feeler scored on a 3-yard run in the second quarter that made it 14-7.
The Falcons opened up a 20-10 lead on Steven Mason’s 45-yard interception return.
The Falcons fell to 1-4 overall for the season.
• Cathedral Catholic defeated Liberty of Bakersfield 24-10 in a nonleague game on Sept. 25.
The Dons improved their overall record for the season to 2-3.
• San Dieguito Academy had its back against the wall and the Mustangs lived to tell about it.
SDA remained undefeated as the Mustangs rallied from a 2-1 deficit to defeat Ramona 3-2 (15-25, 25-20, 22-25, 28-26) in a nonleague match on Sept. 23.
The meeting was the second between the two teams: SDA emerged from a 1-0 deficit to defeat Ramona 2-1 (21-25, 25-23, 15-11) on its way to winning to Las Vegas tournament in August.
Sarah Colla had 23 kills to lead the Mustangs, and Emily Kimball and Megan Scherer added 14 and 10 kills, respectively.
Lindsey King had 22 assists and Scherer added 20 assists.
The Mustangs improved their overall record for the season to 12-0.
• Torrey Pines defeated La Costa Canyon 3-1 (25-20, 15-25, 25-14, 25-18) in a nonleague match on Sept. 23.
Savvy Simo had 13 kills to lead the Falcons and Jillian Strockis added 12 kills.
Brynn Chandler had 22 assists and Kiara McNulty added 18 assists.
Katie Lougeay had eight kills and Bronte Zlomek and Michelle Polenchonski each added seven kills to lead the Mavericks.
The Falcons improved their overall record for the season to 9-1. The Mavericks fell to 4-5.
• San Diego Jewish Academy defeated Preuss UCSD 3-0 (25-13, 25-8, 25-13) in a nonleague match on Sept. 24.
Sara Chitlik had eight kills and Rachel Rozenfeld had nine assists to lead the Lions.
The Lions improved their overall record for the season to 5-2.
• San Dieguito Academy lost to Classical Academy 12-10 in a nonleague match on Sept. 25.
Collin Stewart had four goals and one assist to lead the Mustangs.
Carl Winner added two goals, and Nick Johnston contributed one goal and two assists.
Mustangs goalie Conner Dahl had 11 saves.
The Mustangs fell to 2-4 overall for the season.
• La Costa Canyon defeated El Camino 211-223 in an Avocado League West match on Sept. 22.
Jaime Jacob shot a one-under-par 35 to lead the Mavericks on a nine-hole course at Aviara Golf Club and Resort.
• Cathedral Catholic defeated Coronado 221-238 in a Western League match on Sept. 24.
Madisen Miller shot a 38 to lead the Dons on a nine-hole par-35 course at Country Club of Rancho Bernardo.
• Cathedral Catholic defeated Del Norte 1-0 in a nonleague match on Sept. 23.
Bridget Knowles scored the only goal of the game for the Dons.
Dons goalie Kate Miller had five saves.
The Dons improved their overall record for the season to 4-5.
Get the RSF Review weekly in your inbox
Latest news from Rancho Santa Fe every Thursday.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Rancho Santa Fe Review.