The week in sports: Carmel Valley, Del Mar, Encinitas, Rancho Santa Fe, Solana Beach
• Santa Fe Christian’s high-powered offense had a quarter for the ages as the Eagles overpowered their fifth straight opponent.
The Eagles scored 34 points in a wild second quarter on their way to a resounding 62-13 Coastal League victory over Horizon Christian Academy on Oct. 16.
Eagles quarterback Connor Whitton completed six of eight pass attempts for 85 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions.
Demitri Washington rushed for 76 yards and one touchdown on two carries to lead a ground attack that combined for 353 yards and six touchdowns.
Caleb Armendariz rushed for 68 yards and one touchdown on three carries, and Hank Ontiveros rushed for 64 yards and one touchdown on five carries. Kevin Loney rushed for two touchdowns.
Caleb Phillips led the Eagles defensively with eight tackles and three sacks. Armendariz and Luke Sanders each added six tackles.
The Eagles improved to 3-0 in league and 6-1 overall for the season.
• A dramatic finish helped Torrey Pines defeat Oceanside 28-27 in an Avocado League West game on Oct. 16.
The Falcons trailed 27-20 in the final minute when quarterback Ben Spitters completed a 37-yard scoring pass to Scotty Gange.
The Falcons improved to 1-1 in league and 2-5 overall for the season.
• La Costa Canyon had its five-game winning streak snapped in heartbreaking fashion as the Mavericks experienced a 24-17 overtime loss to Carlsbad in an Avocado League West game on Oct. 16.
Tanner Clark rushed for two touchdowns in defeat for the Mavericks.
LCC trailed 17-14 in the fourth quarter when Jake Koehnke kicked a 48-yard field goal to send the game into overtime.
The Mavericks fell to 1-1 in league and 5-2 overall for the season.
• Nationally ranked Torrey Pines extended its winning streak to 15 matches as the Falcons defeated Mt. Carmel 3-0 (25-13, 25-19, 25-17) in a Palomar League match on Oct. 16.
Jillian Strockis had 11 kills to lead the Falcons and Alexis Filippone and Savvy Simo each added nine kills.
Kiara McNulty had 20 assists and Brynn Chandler added 18 assists.
The victory followed a 3-0 (25-19, 25-17, 25-17) victory over Rancho Bernardo on Oct. 15 in which Simo had 12 kills to lead the Falcons and Chandler contributed 21 assists.
Torrey Pines is ranked No. 1 in the state and No. 7 in the nation by MaxPreps.com.
The Falcons improved to 5-0 in league and 22-1 overall for the season.
• Cathedral Catholic defeated Point Loma 3-0 (25-18, 25-11, 25-21) in a Western League match on Oct. 14.
Shaney Lipscomb and Lauren Woodard each had seven kills to lead the Dons.
Lexi Dorn had 25 assists and six kills.
The Dons improved to 5-0 in league and 19-2 overall for the season.
• After a strong start, San Dieguito Academy lost its last three matches at the Infinity Tournament in Reno, Nev.
The Mustangs opened the tournament with 2-1 (25-12, 22-25, 15-4) victory over La Salle of Pasadena on Oct. 16, in which Emily Kimball had 13 kills and Sarah Colla had 11 kills. The team then defeated Santa Fe Christian 2-1 (25-23, 20-25, 16-14) later in the day, as Colla led the team with eight kills.
The three-match skid started Oct. 16 with a 2-0 (25-23, 25-20) loss to Bishop Manogue of Reno.
The Mustangs experienced a 2-0 (25-23, 25-19) loss to Flintridge Sacred Heart (La Canada-Flintridge) and a 2-0 (29-27, 25-23) defeat at the hands of Francis Parker the next day.
The Mustangs fell to 20-16 overall for the season.
• La Costa Canyon defeated San Dieguito Academy 6-0 in an Avocado League West game on Oct. 16.
Nina Randolph scored two goals and had two assists to lead the Mavericks and Mackenzie Peterson added two goals. Heather Brennan scored one goal and had two assists.
Mavericks goalie Jodi Steigerwald was credited with the shutout.
The Mavericks improved to 5-0 in league and 14-4 overall for the season.
• Torrey Pines defeated Rancho Bernardo 8-0 in a Palomar League game on Oct. 16 as the Falcons extended their winning streak to seven.
Emily Belshin scored two goals and had one assist to lead the Falcons and Ryan Poe contributed two goals.
Shannon Yogerst added one goal and two assist.
Falcons goalie Jaden Watkins was credited with the shutout.
The victory followed a 3-1 win against Poway on Oct. 14 in which Gabriella “Gabi” Jimenez scored two goals to lead the Falcons and Poe added one goal.
The Falcons improved to 3-0 in league and 15-2 overall for the season.
• Cathedral Catholic defeated Patrick Henry 2-1 in a nonleague game on Oct. 13.
Bella Mattera and Emma Hall each scored one goal to lead the Dons and Daphne Tenuto and Kate Bieraugel each contributed one assist.
The Dons improved to 7-7 overall for the season.
Get the RSF Review weekly in your inbox
Latest news from Rancho Santa Fe every Thursday for free
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Rancho Santa Fe Review.