The week in sports: Carmel Valley, Del Mar, Encinitas, Rancho Santa Fe, Solana Beach
• Cathedral Catholic bounced back from a slow start, and once the Dons got going, they never let up on their way to a resounding 35-19 victory over Eastlake in a nonleague game on Oct. 2.
Quarterback Tate Haynes engineered the comeback after the Dons fell behind 14-0 in the first quarter. Haynes completed 15 of 25 pass attempts for 226 with one touchdown. Haynes also rushed for two scores.
Hogan Irwin scored on a 7-yard scoring run. Irwin rushed for 69 yards on 16 carries.
The Dons won for the third time in four games. They improved their overall record for the season to 3-3.
• San Diego Jewish Academy lost to Rock Academy 48-36 in an Ocean League game on Oct. 2.
The Lions fell to 1-2 overall for the season.
• Torrey Pines defeated Carlsbad 3-0 (25-16l25-14, 25-20) in a nonleague match on October 1.
Savvy Simo had 10 kills to lead the Falcons and Emily Fitzner had 14 assists.
The Falcons improved to 10-1overall for the season.
• Cathedral Catholic extended its winning streak to 13 matches as the Dons defeated Point Loma 3-1 (25-19, 23-25, 25-22, 25-17) in a Western League contest on Oct. 1.
Megan Faraimo had 13 kills to lead the Dons and setter Lexi Dorn had 38 assists.
Cali Bunn contributed nine kills and Dorn and Brennan Wilhite each added eight kills.
The victory followed a 3-0 (25-19, 25-23, 25-22) league win against Our Lady of the Peace on Oct. 1 in which Faraimo and Lauren Woodard each had 10 kills and Dorn had 34 assists.
The Dons improved to 3-0 in league and 13-1 overall for the season.
• Torrey Pines defeated La Costa Canyon 1-0 in a nonleague game on Oct. 2.
The victory was the Falcon’s third straight time and fourth in five games.
Gabriella “Gabi” Jimenez scored the game’s only goal to lead the Falcons.
Goalie Jaden Watkins, who was credited with the shutout, had one save.
The victory followed a 2-1 nonleague win against Rancho Buena Vista on Sept. 30 in which Sophia LeRose scored one goal and had one assist to lead the Falcons.
Ryan Poe contributed one goal and Farh Farjood added one assist.
Watkins had four saves.
The Falcons improved their overall record for the season to 11-2.
• Cathedral Catholic defeated Santana 3-0 in a nonleague game on Sept. 9.
Jayden Cunningham, Rachel Brenk and Kate Bierauge each scored one goal to lead the Dons. Bella Mattera and Francesca Federico each had one assist.
The Dons improved their overall record for the season to 5-6.
• San Dieguito Academy defeated Oceanside 7-3 in a nonleague game on Sept. 9.
Collin Stewart scored four goals to lead the Mustangs and Zachary Lewis and Jack Johnston each added one goal and one assist.
Ian Marquez contributed one goal.
The Mustangs improved to 5-7 overall for the season.
• Torrey Pines defeated Rancho Bernardo 10-6 in a Palomar League match on October 1.
Jacob Roll scored four goals to lead the Falcons and Karlov Konstantin added three goals.
The Falcons improved to 2-0 in league and 8-1 overall for the season.
• Torrey Pines defeated Westview 196-233 in a Palomar League match on Sept. 29.
Sung Eun “Christina” Park shot an even-par to lead the Falcons on a nine-hold par-36 course at Bernardo Heights Country Club.
• La Costa Canyon defeated Sage Creek 217-252 in an Avocado League West match on Oct. 1.
Jaime Jacob shot a 2-under-par 34 to lead the Mavericks on a nine-hold par-36 course at Encinitas Ranch Golf Course.
Get the RSF Review weekly in your inbox
Latest news from Rancho Santa Fe every Thursday.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Rancho Santa Fe Review.