By Gideon Rubin
• Fresh off of winning the prestigious Hilltop-Lolita’s tournament earlier in the week, La Costa Canyon was on its way to making its mark in another tough tourney just days later.
The Mavericks extended their winning streak to five games as they improved to 3-0 in the North County Conference tournament with a 7-2 victory over San Marcos on March 27.
Micky Moniak had two hits and two RBI and scored two runs to lead the Mavericks.
Nick Scheidler struck out four batters and allowed no walks in three shutout innings of no-hit relief pitching behind Mavericks starter Patrick MacNabb, who was credited with the victory. MacNabb allowed two runs on five hits and one walk in four innings.
The Mavericks opened the tournament with a 2-0 victory over Ramona on March 23 in which starter Brendan Kawaja struck out four batters and allowed seven hits and no walks in seven innings of shutout ball.
Julian McDonald pitched six shutout innings of two-hit ball in which he allowed no walks to lead the Mavericks in a 2-0 win against San Pasqual on March 25.
The Mavericks defeated Cathedral Catholic 4-3 in the Hilltop-Lolita’s tournament championship game on March 21.
Mavericks starter Ethan Abrams, who was credited with the victory, scattered nine hits in a complete game effort in which he struck out five batters and allowed three walks.
Moniak, Reece Anthony, and Shane Potter each had two hits to lead the Mavericks offensively.
Griffen Case homered in defeat for the Dons and Jacob Mullin and Cole Mueller each contributed two hits.
The Mavericks improved their overall record for the season to 8-1.
The Dons lost to Point Loma 3-2 in a City Conference tournament game on March 27 for their third loss in four games.
The Dons fell to 5-4 overall for the season.
• Torrey Pines defeated Carlsbad 2-1 in a game that went nine innings in a North County Conference tournament game on March 28.
Sandy Plashkes had three hits, including the game-winning hit with two outs in the top of the ninth inning.
Chase Cameron, who was credited with the victory, pitched three shutout innings of one-hit ball in relief of starter Joshua Sidney, who allowed one unearned run in six innings.
The Falcons opened the tournament with a 4-0 victory over Classical Academy on March 24 in which Cole Klemke went 3 for 3 2ith three stolen bases and three runs scored.
Falcons starter Plashkes, who was credited with the victory, pitched five shutout innings of one-hit ball.
The Falcons lost to Vista 3-2 on March 26 despite a solid pitching effort from C.J. Stubbs, who allowed three runs (two earned) over seven innings in which he scattered seven hits and allowed no walks.
The Falcons improved their overall record for the season to 5-2-1.
• Santa Fe Christian defeated San Dieguito Academy 5-4 in a North County Conference tournament game on March 28.
The Eagles scored two runs in a decisive rally in the bottom of the sixth inning when they entered trailing 4-3.
Cole Weaver went 3 for 3 with a stolen base and provide solid defense at shortstop to lead the Eagles.
Eric Vela had two hits in defeat for the Mustangs.
SFC improved its overall record for the season to 8-2.
The Mustangs fell to 3-5 overall for the season.
• Canyon Crest Academy defeated Classical Academy 9-2 in a North County Conference tournament game on March 28.
Brandon Smith had two hits (both doubles) and three RBI, and Jacob Sclar homered and scored three runs to lead the Ravens.
The victory stopped a six-game skid as the Ravens improved their overall record for the season to 2-6.
• San Diego Jewish Academy defeated St. Michael’s Prep of Silverado 5-2 in a nonleague game on March 26 as the Lions extended their winning streak to five games.
The Lions improved their overall record for the season to 6-1.
• Torrey Pines defeated Hilltop 6-5 in a Falcon Fiesta tournament game on March 26 that went nine innings.
Shelbianne Evans had two hits including a double and two RBI and Mikaila Reyes doubled and drove in two runs to lead the Falcons.
The Falcons improved their overall record for the season to 6-4.
• Torrey Pines won the National All-American Team Invitational tournament championship on March 24.
The Falcons defeated defending tournament champion Menlo School (of Menlo Park) 7-2 in the title match.
Raul de la Torre went 8-0 in the tournament to lead the Falcons.
• Red-hot Canyon Crest Academy won its seventh straight game to start the season, defeating Denver East (of Denver) 11-7 in a nonleague game on March 28.
Alexa Carter scored four goals and had one assist and Ally Deremer scored three goals and had three assists to lead the Ravens.
Ravens goalie Jessie McConville had nine saves.
The victory followed a 14-3 victory over San Marcos in an Avocado League West opener on March 26.
Rayna Higuchi, Arielle Shahrabani and Carter each scored three goals to lead the Ravens.
Higuchi also had three assists.
Mariella Gauvreau had a standout game defensively for the Ravens.