Rancho Days event offers a variety of activities to celebrate the community of Rancho Santa Fe
Longtime RSF resident Gordy Bartow had an idea in 1993 to hold a community event to bring the nonprofit organizations of the Ranch together in one collaborative event.
The first chairperson of Rancho Days was Kim Matzinger, board member of the Rancho Santa Fe Community Center at the time. Each Rancho Santa Fe nonprofit organization’s leaders were collectively responsible for creating an event based on strong principles of unity and working together to ensure the betterment of Rancho Santa Fe.
Rancho Days, which used to be held annually and is now held every two years, has been a wonderful way for the community to come together to celebrate Rancho Santa Fe’s heritage and to promote collaboration between the community organizations.
Rancho Santa Fe’s Rancho Days event has lots of activities for everyone to enjoy. Below is a brief rundown of the schedule. Rancho Days runs Oct. 3-Oct. 12. For details, contact Rancho Days Chairman Shannon Mountain at 858-756-1174 or email@example.com:
4-8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 3:
• Rotary Fall Festival Family 35th annual BBQ, sponsored by the RSF Rotary Club & The Inn at RSF. Cost: $12 adult, $8 child.
Saturday, Oct. 4:
• Rancho Riding Club Trail Ride, Lunch And Exhibition. 10 a.m. trail ride, 12:30 p.m. lunch, 12:30 p.m. exhibition. Free, but please reserve by Sept. 28.
• 4-8 p.m. RSF Golf Club Hoedown Dance & BBQ, $50 adults / $22 children. Please call for reservations: 858-756-1182.
Sunday, Oct. 5:
• 4-7 p.m. BBQ, games, and a production of “Saga of Sagebrush Sal: A Comedy Western Melodrama” at the Village Church. Reserve seating: $15; general admission $10 for adults, $5 for children 12 and under; family package $25 for two adults and two children 12 and under. Visit www.villagechurch.org or call 858-756-2441, ext. 100 or 106, email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
Monday, Oct. 6:
• 5:30 p.m. Monday Night Football at Delicias, 6106 Paseo Delicias, with free pizza.
Tuesday, Oct. 7:
• 7:30-10 a.m. Crepes and Coffee with the Rancho Santa Fe Foundation at the Country Friends patio.
• 5-6:30 p.m. Petals & Prose Flower Exhibition and Reception. Select a book and create a flower arrangement that captures its spirit. Prizes will be given to guests who correctly match the most arrangements to the displayed books. “Check out” the arrangements at the Library from Oct. 8-10. Call 858-756-2754.
• 5-6:30 p.m. Carpe Diem at Sunset, RSF Library Open House. Enjoy extended hours at sunset after taking in “Petals & Prose” at the Rancho Santa Fe Garden Club across the street. Refreshments will be served.
Wednesday, Oct. 8:
• 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. RSF Association Taco Fest. Beef and chicken tacos cooked fresh on the grill plus beans, rice, guacamole and chips. Country-western music by Skip Cox and “Cash on Demand.”
• 11:30 a.m. Country Friends and The Prestige Realty Group reception on the patio at 6030 El Tordo in RSF with cake, refreshments and art on display from the Art Guild.
• 4:30 p.m. Trail Walk. Meet in the upper parking lot of the Golf Club for two trail hikes. One hike will be an easier walk, about 30 minutes and one will be closer to an hour. After the walks, meet on the Golf Club’s patio for light appetizers and a no-host bar.
Thursday, Oct. 9:
• 5-6:30 p.m. Wine Tasting at the RSF Inn. Enjoy tastings from a variety of wineries including Duckhorn Vineyards, Flowers Vineyards, Adelsheim Vineyards, and Chateau Montelena Winery. Free; includes light appetizers. Call 858-381-8212.
Friday, Oct. 10:
• 2:30-4 p.m. Strings in the Garden. RSF Senior Center hosts a garden reception with music by Caprice Strings. Meet friends and neighbors, enjoy Thyme in the Ranch goodies, and relax in the Senior Center garden. Free. Valet parking provided. Call 858-756-3041.
• 5-8:30 p.m. KIDS’ Night Out | Parents’ Night Out. $35 per child/ $30 per sibling. Kids’ Night Out child care evening for grades K-5 coincides with Neighbor Night (see below). Sports, games, crafts, pizza and fun for the kids, giving you time to mingle with your neighbors. To register, call 858-756-2461.
• 5:30-8 p.m. Neighbor Night. Hosts on each street are asked to open their homes, and neighbors are invited to bring an appetizer to share and their favorite beverage. The Community Center will provide hosts with invitations, and for those living in the Covenant, mailing labels. To host or attend a party on your street, contact Linda Durket at 858-756-2461 or visit www.rsfcc.org.
Saturday, Oct. 11:
• 3-5 p.m. Rancho Days Tennis Mixer. RSF Tennis Club invites you to play in the Mixed Double Mixer, three rounds of doubles with a variety of partners, music and eats. Come with a partner or be set up with one by Head Pro Derek Miller. After the party, enjoy a cold beverage and appetizer while watching a Mixed Double exhibition by club professionals.
• 4:30-8 p.m. RSF Historical Society Fandango. A festive wrap up for Rancho Days 2014. Music by: Mariachi Divinas; Guillermo’s Tacos will provide three different types of tacos, beans and rice; margaritas and sangria also available. RSVP by Oct. 4 at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 858-756-9291.
Sunday, Oct. 12:
• 8-11 a.m. RSF Fire Pancake Breakfast. Cost: $5 adult / $3 child. The Rancho Santa Fe Professional Firefighters Association and Rancho Santa Fe Fire Protection District hosting the annual breakfast at RSF Fire Station 1, 16936 El Fuego. Includes station tours, photos with the firefighters, fire engine and ambulance displays, Basic CPR Class, Jump houses, and more. Visit www.rsf-fire.org.
• 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Fiesta de Osuna Adobe. Experience a little bit of history during a tour of the 1831 Osuna Adobe and enjoy a free lunch and entertainment by Los Californios (Musica Antique de Alta California). At 1 p.m. try the Apple Dunking Contest with prizes for children and horses.