Five candidates are vying for three seats on the Rancho Santa Fe School District Board of Trustees in the Nov. 6 election.
The candidates are Lorraine Brovick-Kent, Todd Buchner, Richard Burdge (incumbent), Tyler Seltzer (incumbent) and Heather Slosar. In September we published biographies of each candidate and their answers to questions from the RSF Review (see www.rsfreview.com). To give readers one more chance to learn about the candidates before the election, we are publishing final candidate statements below (as well as a reprint of their biographies).Name: Tyler Seltzer,
appointed incumbent on RSF School board, school parent, former RSF student
Years living in RSF School District:
•Since 2008, I have served as Executive Vice President of Watersohn Companies, Inc. Based in Carlsbad, CA, Watersohn is a privately held, family investment group with holdings in food, beverage, sports, and real estate.
•From 1998-2008, I served as VP of Corporate Development for Seltzer Companies, Inc., a privately held, international manufacturer and distributor of food and beverage ingredients.
•I hold a B.A. in broadcast journalism from the University of Southern California.
•Current member, governing board, Rancho Santa Fe School District
•Member, Rancho Santa Fe Golf Club
•Member, Rancho Santa Fe Riding Club
•Scholars’ Circle member, Rancho Santa Fe Education Foundation
•Curtain Call and Club 324 Supporter, RSF Performing Arts Center
•Volunteer coach, RSF Little League and RSF Soccer
I am running for re-election to the RSF School Board because:
1) During my time on the board, I believe I have demonstrated the experience, personality, and ability to serve positively and productively as a member, both individually, and collaboratively with fellow trustees.
2) Continuity of leadership has been a key part of our school’s longstanding success. That success is demonstrated on a daily basis with record high test scores, small class sizes, differentiated instruction, teaching specialists, robotics, Columbia reading and writing, character development, athletic excellence, cutting edge technology, first class facilities, and expanded art, music, drama, and language programs. I am committed to that continuing excellence.
3) Both my wife (Liz McElhinney) and I attended R. Roger Rowe School from kindergarten through the 8th grade. My perspective as a former student, current board member, and school parent provides me unique insight on how we can achieve an exceptional educational experience for our students, parents, teachers, and community.
4) As a 19-year resident of Rancho Santa Fe, I have a heightened sense of what this school means to our community, and what this community means to our school. As long as I am on the board, every decision I make will be made with a profound sense of obligation to our students, parents, and neighbors.
5) My business background comes from privately held, family owned and operated businesses, where every dollar in and every dollar out counts, the focus on fiscal discipline and accountability is at a premium, and building on organization of loyal, committed, and respected people is essential. I believe this combined experience of fiscal discipline and people development translates perfectly to the stewardship of our school district.